20071119

Let me clear my throat

Genetics can be a funny thing. I got my intonation and my laugh from my father, and my sardonic outlook and stubbornness from my mother, and Karen has the grace and patience of her mother. Well, the other day we witnessed an event that made us gasp and say "he gets that from his mother."
SO i love my wife, very much. She is smart and beautiful and has a great sense of hummer and a greater outlook on life. This is no big shock. But something that may be a shock, is the sounds that can come out of her. Now I am not being crude, or rude, I am talking about her cough. She has a very loud, thunderous, dish rattling cough. Even if it is just a little "ahem" to dislodge some misplace saliva. It is the type of sound that make you lounge forward to give her support as you mentally prepare to handle the alien that is about to lunge out of her chest. My wife has beauty and grace 99% of the time. the one percent that slips to the wayside is when she coughs, and X has inherited this trait.
This discovery happened just yesterday with both joy and horror. X has a tendency to eat very noisily, and after he eats he has this rattle that lingers for at least 20 minutes. Every time he eats, we encourage him to cough, clear that airway, get some of those fluids moved to the right place, and generally he just glares at us and wheezes. Well yesterday he got that look on his face, the one that indicates that he needs to pass some gas down below, and then it happened. He opened nice and hide to let out a yawn, and instead a toad got run over by a very noisy steam roller. The cats jumped, that dog barked, and I believe the white river may have reversed its direction of flow periodically. But miraculously the rattle stopped. At first we thought, that was very weird, i guess it was a combo burp cough sneeze thing, hopefully that will not happen again. Well our hopes were dashed when he did it again, and again.
So I say again, genetics can be a funny thing. I just hope he does not get my laugh.

1 comment:

GrandmaSharon said...

Kate can attest to the fact that you were a hummer eater till you were almost 10. We used to have to tell you to quit humming while you eat. And when I was at your place and heard X eatting through the monitior I thought it was you Jeff.
Me stubborn? Me sarcastic. I think not.
Ha