20071128

Mutant boy X

truth be told, I have not taken a biology based class since I cut open a worm in middle school. Some how, I was able to make it through high school, collage, and graduate school learning the physical sciences and never once touching a biology or health science book. That being said, I believe my boy is a mutant. I may not have a lot of education to back that accusation, I am computer savy and able to look things up on line, and i am married to a doctor.
Lately we have been scrutinizing over Xavier, trying to decide who he looks like and determine what type of physical traits he may grow up exhibiting. We are Fairly certain he is going to be some what tall, have brown eyes (they are getting darker and darker daily), probably have dirty blond hair, no dimples, big ears and a cleft chin.... wait... a cleft chin??
After doing a little research we have discovered the following.
Genetically, the cleft chin gene is a dominant gene. in other words if you have the gene you have the cleft. This means that if one of your parents have a cleft chin, you have a 3 in 4 chance of inheriting it, because if one of the two genes you inherited is clefted, it overpowers the non dominate resulting in a physical manifestation. That is not to say that if you have one parent with a cleft chin you will have one. Do to it being a homozygous recessive genotype. This means that you have a 2 in 4 chance of not having a cleft. But I digress. The ultimate result of our findings was that in order to have a cleft chin, one of you parents MUST have a cleft, unless you have a spontaneous mutation. This is interesting because neither Karen, nor myself have a cleft chin.
so i conclude that my son is a mutant.
QED.

2 comments:

GrandmaSharon said...

You as parents may not see yet, but in grandma boots' and my opinion. His chin and mouth are from Karen and his nose and eyes are from you. You used to cross your eyes because of the space between the eyes.c
Karen has a cleft, but it is not as pronounced as her sisters

Unknown said...

I think the mutants prefer to be called "Gifted" (check the bibs!)