20070422

Sorry, Louisville is closed

I went to Lexington this weekend. It is a nice drive, about three hours. Very easy except the trip through Louisville. On the way there I noticed something was going on in the ville. There were four apache type helicopters patrolling the banks and then a fifth landed in a park with a group of people running to it. There were people behind a blockade watching this event and it seamed to be pretty impressive. I noticed all of this while I was driving over the bridge that connects Indiana to Kentucky. After I got through Louisville it was a straight shot easy peasy.
On the way back it was a different story. Apparently Louisville was closed. Closed???? Surely not. Oh Yes it was closed. Louisville is encircled by 264 and all access to downtown from the three interstates that go through the ville were closed at 264. WHAT! What if I need to get downtown? What if I wanted to visit one of my in-laws… to bad, the city is closed. 64, 65, 71 all closed. No access. From 8:00 to 10:00 no one is allowed in. Sure you can leave but no one can come in. Very sad. Or at least it was for me. It made my peaceful 3, 3.5 , hour trip into a not so peaceful 4.5 hour trip. SO I was detoured from 64 to 264, to 64, to 365, to 65. to get back into Indianapolis and traffic was not cooperating. In order to get from 64 to 264 we bottle necked from three lanes down to one to get back to three. And the same to get back on 64., three lanes down to one back up to three. Lucky for me I hit Louisville at about 8:15, so everything was just closed. I only had to sit in a three mile back up. I bet anyone who hit the city at 9:30 probably would have saved a ton of time by leaving 30 minutes later and hitting the interstates once they were open again.
So we do apologize for the inconvenience but the city is closed.

No comments: