20080213

lets cook something nuesday!

I have decided that I am going to try cooking one new thing every Tuesday. This is both to expand my culinary repertoire, and because it is incredibly fun. This does not mean that I am sticking to just new entrees; we will have sides and drinks and in the future maybe even baby food. Do to copy write issues, I am just going to list the cookbooks I use, and the ingredients without quantities. If you want the recipe, I recommend trying to find the book for more exact details, or maybe send me an e-mail.
For let’s cook something nuesday number one, I have picked a dessert. Last night a whipped up a batch of almond honey delight, which can be looked at as a poor mans baklava. The recipe was from the cook book

InterCourses.”



First you make a cookie crust with butter, sugar and almond extract.



Then add flour and egg. Yes I use a food processor to pull together my dough, especially dry dough like cookie crust, or pie crust. This makes the dough a little more crumbly looking at first but it is easier to dump into the pan and spread out, before pressing into a solid sheet of dough.

Next step. Press cookie bottom into a pan and refrigerate for an hour. Then bake.



While baking the cookie crust, make a nice caramel sauce with sugar, brown sugar, honey, and plenty of butter.



Once the sauce has darkened and boiled into a thick syrup, add the almonds



Then, spread the almond mixture atop the cookie crust, and bake again until thick, dark and bubbly.



After allowing to cool, Cut into wedges and serve.



All in all, I would say the recipe was a success. The friends that came over for dinner (we had grilled snapper with an avocado cream sauce, with sausage and grape crusteniess and a strawberry salad) really liked it. The key differences between this and baklava is that there is no layering. It also was not as sweet or sticky which some people prefer. The taste was remarkable similar, but to me the top was a little "brittelish, or toffeish," both of which I am not a big fan.

Aside from time it takes to the make, chill, bake, coat, bake, cool, and cut, the recipe is very easy.

No comments: